The breadth and depth of the cybersecurity research ongoing in the Southwest node of CCI is drawing students to hands-on opportunities. Hundreds of graduates and undergraduates are working directly on CCI research or engaged in cybersecurity internships or training programs. These experiences equip students with highly specialized cybersecurity skills, preparing them to meet the growing demand for cybersecurity talent in the commonwealth and beyond.
CCI is also dedicated to supporting professional development and training opportunities for K-12 educators and other learners in our region.
Student Opportunities Fall 2023
Events & workshops
- Interested in quantum computing, the intelligence community, or how to apply for government internships and other positions? Join us in Blacksburg on September 14, 3:00 pm - 4:45 pm. Learn more.
- Call for student mentees: Cybersecurity Research Mentoring Workshop in November in Denmark: https://sites.google.com/vt.edu/imentor/call-for/student-mentees
Career & internship fairs
- Register for the Commonwealth Cyber Initiative’s Virtual Career Fair, September 27
- Register for the Aerospace, Defense, and Intelligence Career Fair, September 19, 2023 (Virginia Tech students) where you can meet with employers in the intelligence, defense, and aerospace communities, share your resume, and set up post-career fair interviews.
Programs & competitions
- Applications for the Cyber Pre-Apprenticeship Program are due on or before October 1, 2023. Selected students will be paid $3,500 and will have a virtual placement with a Virginia-based technical company
- CCI seeks proposals for Cyber as a Service projects to enhance students’ skills to enter the cybersecurity workforce on graduation and benefit the local economy. Proposals (up to $5,000) due September 22.
- Got a good idea? Pitch it at next week’s Game Changer Student Pitch Competition in Blacksburg. Competitors will demonstrate their groundbreaking ideas for addressing real-world challenges and compete for prizes totaling over $16,000. Open to students throughout the region. More details in the attached document.